It’s times like these, when I wish that I was proactive enough to keep a pen and paper available for note taking while I’m at the torch. Last week, at the end of a studio session, I decided to make a small bead trio that would later be used in a bracelet that I wanted to make. I didn’t put a great deal of thought into them. I guess I must have been in that “zone” or something because I can’t remember for the life of me which colors I used to decorate the beads. The base was obviously encased dichroic over copper green, but the rest remains a mystery to me still.
Upon taking this little beads out of the kiln, I immediately fell in love with them. I assembled them into a bracelet and named the finished piece “Surf Gems”. I HAD to make another full set as soon as I had time! On Monday of this week, I headed down to my torch with a huge smile on my face, ready to make a full set of “Surf Gems”. At the time, I thought I knew how I made them. For some strange reason, violet and ink blue came to mind as being used in some of the layers. I made an entire set and slept well, thinking that I had successfully completed my goal for the day.
Sadly, I was wrong. . .my set really looked nothing like the trio that I had originally made. I named them “Mermaid Jewels” and went back to the torch for another try. This morning I am disappointed again. . .The small set that I made yesterday doesn’t look like the originals either, so I’m off to the torch for another attempt.